In 1921, the original articles of incorporation for the institution were amended to include the addition of a new arm of care offered at St. Joseph's. (Southwest Courier, Diocesan Golden Jubilee, undated, pg. 97).
The social needs were great for both children and the elderly. It was an innovative concept for the two groups to be united and provide what was lacking for each.