Saint Joseph's Industrial School and Orphanage, and later Home for the Aged, Bethany, Oklahoma.

It opened in 1912 and by the time it closed in the 1965 several thousand children, and aged, had been cared for by the facility.


In 1965, the orphanage closed in Bethany and moved to newer facilities in Northeast Oklahoma just off of Eastern Avenue.  The ten acre campus consisted of space to play as well as two dorms, a man office, a cafeteria, a chapel, and the chaplain's quarters.  This had all been arranged through the leadership of Father A.A. Isenbart (later Msgr.). In addition to his tasks as director of the orphanage he had led the Associated Catholic Charities for over 20 years. (The Sooner Catholic, Sept 5, 1976, pg. 6).

The Lovely New Chapel
State of the Art Facilities
In 1976, Monsignor Raymond Harkin was identified as the current chaplain for the relocated "St. Joseph's Children's Home."

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your information to clarify or expand known facts. Send more personal - or lengthy - comments to the page manager.